Monday, August 8, 2011

Kind of fishy.

Get the details about Yummy Mondays HERE.


So I had some fish sitting around.  Well, not SITTING around... I mean, fish don't sit.  And anyway, they were in the freezer, so it's not like they were just out and about... I'm getting off track here.  The point is, I've had some fish in the freezer for a while now, so I looked up some cod recipes.  Then I left it up to mr.  It was between some pasta dish, some baked fish dish and fish tacos.  Needless to say, mr chose the 


Anything remotely spicy gets mr's vote any day...  And I figured given the amount of attention paid to Friday Fish Fries in the area (Are fish fries huge where you live?  Because they are basically the entire purpose of a Friday here in Wisco.)  I should probably get with the craze.  Beer batter?  What else in Wisconsin?


First of all, the fixin's:


First of all, the recipe I used specifically states CORN tortillas and enumerates the importance.  I was skeptical, considering I'm a flour tortilla girl myself, but I do believe the recipe was right.  The corn tortillas added the right consistency and flavor.
Next up, you can find my pico de gallo recipe here.
And my Holy Guacamole recipe here.
They are musts.  At least in my book.


Now for the white sauce.  I used a recipe that claims this is "authentic San Diego style..." and I don't really know if that's a good thing or what - did Fish Tacos start in San Diego?   Anyway, here's the sauce so you can make sure your fish tacos are authentic.




White Sauce

  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced capers
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper


In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.


And of course, the fish.  Gotta have some beer batter fish for your fish tacos.  My mom raved about this fish and ate some without the taco stuff because she said it was the best she'd had.  (I think it really helps when everything's freshly made.  Either that or she's just overly partial to anything I make.)


Beer Batter Cod


  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup beer
    • 1 quart oil for frying
    • 1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions
    • 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
    • 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded

    In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).  Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. 

    Now you've just got to assemble it all.  Take a corn tortilla, put on some cabbage and fish, add the pico and guac, and drizzle on the white sauce.  Mmmmmmm.  Delicious.  I couldn't believe I liked them so much - I mean, fish tacos always sounded a little weird to me.  Everyone else thought they were awesome as well.  So, a hit all around!

    For dessert?  Ooo, I can't wait to show you this... so, so yummy and perfect for summer!


    I got this from Creations by Kara.  They've been pinned in my pinterest recipe board for a long time now...

    Lemon Pull-Aparts
    Rolls:
    12 Rhodes dinner rolls, thawed but still cold
    zest of 1 lemon
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 Tbsp butter, melted
    Glaze:
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    Cut rolls in half and place in a greased 9×13″ pan. Drizzle with the melted butter. Mix lemon zest and sugar together in a small bowl. Sprinkle HALF of the lemon sugar mixture over the rolls. Cover and let raise till doubled. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture on top. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan. Combine glaze ingredients. Drizzle over rolls while still warm.

    These will definitely be added to the regular dessert rotation.  They are lemony and delicious... soft and warm... and just plain good.  Try it.  You'll love it.

    And because they are so good, how about another picture...

    Yummmmmm.
    Happy Monday.



*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

2 comments:

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

I've heard of fish tacos, but have never tried it out. Your picture looks so yummy...maybe I should. :) Thanks for sharing all the yummy recipes. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower, too.} Cute blog!

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...