Friday, March 5, 2010

Score one for the cornbread!

Well, my Monday meal extravaganza failed this week.  So, to make up for it, I decided to try my hand at one of all time favorite mom treats - cornbread.  And what does cornbread go best with?  A big steamy pot of chili!  I’ve never made either before, so it was kind of a risk to try to make up for one failed attempt with a first time effort.
Dinner time rolled around.  Mr. raved about how good everything smelled.  Bug got to take the first bite....
“Spicy!!”  He exclaimed.  I didn’t even know he knew that word.  I thought maybe he thought it meant something it didn’t really mean.  I took a humongous mouthful.  

And that is when I learned the importance of tasting while you cook.

We’ve all seen them.  Those granny’s on old movies or commercials, putting the big wooden spoon to their mouth as they stir in spices, tasting as they go, careful to not over season....

Those granny’s know what they're doing.

I do not.

It would be an understatement to say I put in a bit too much Cayenne pepper.  Making it one of Mr.’s favorite meals to date, but almost inedible to Bug (who DID know the meaning of spicy, after all) and me.  

I dined instead on cornbread.  Which was superb.  It’s always a gamble making one of my mom’s recipes, since I have so much to live up to.  But this time it payed off.  Mr. told me I could make it everyday if I wanted to (but I won’t, only to save our waistlines).  So, one small failure and a triumph!  



(Mom says make it with yellow cornbread, it's prettier - I have to agree.  Yellow IS my favorite color.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...